The Power of Outpatient Addiction Treatment
When people think about drug and alcohol treatment, they usually picture a stay at a residential rehab facility. While an inpatient substance abuse program may offer the best chance of success for individuals with a severe addiction or an unstable home environment, many people in the earlier stages of addiction benefit from the flexibility of outpatient treatment.
Outpatient addiction treatment programs are an effective option for individuals who may not be able to take extended time away from their work and personal responsibilities. Is outpatient treatment the right choice for you? Understanding the facts about this type of addiction treatment can help you make an informed decision about your own care.
“No one wants to let an addiction get in the way of their life,” notes David Dequa, Program Director at Discovery Transitions, an outpatient drug and alcohol treatment center in Los Angeles. “If you have had a short history of addiction, are at low risk for relapse and can be counted on to attend therapy sessions faithfully, then outpatient treatment might be the ideal path to a new and better life. Addicts who fit this profile still need professional help. They will benefit greatly from therapy sessions, but they are able to incorporate our outpatient treatment into the rest of their busy life and schedule.”
Benefits of Outpatient Addiction Treatment
There are many advantages to receiving therapy through an outpatient treatment program:
- Presence at Work or School:You’ll be able to hold down your job or continue attending school while you participate in your outpatient drug or alcohol treatment. This flexibility is critical for individuals whose careers or school enrollment simply cannot be paused for several weeks while they are in residential rehab.
- Presence at Home: If you run a household or have young children at home, it can be difficult to step away from your personal responsibilities to receive alcohol or drug addiction treatment. Outpatient substance abuse treatment offers clients the capability to continue looking after their children and family members each day. It’s helpful to have a spouse or relative available to pitch in with childcare and chores during this time, but the ability to be present for your children is invaluable to many people.
- Access to Your Support Network:For some people, the chance to get away from relatives and friends at a residential treatment center helps them focus on their recovery, but other individuals need the daily support of their loved ones to help them through a challenging time. Outpatient alcohol or drug treatment enables clients to stay in touch with the members of their support network each day as they complete their therapy.
- Privacy: Not everyone is comfortable discussing their recovery journey with friends and coworkers. A substance abuse treatment program that allows you to come home each night and maintain a presence at work offers a greater degree of anonymity and privacy.
Adds Dequa, “Outpatient rehab provides more freedom than inpatient treatment, but both types of rehab take addicts through a rigorous program that teaches them how to live a sober life and avoid relapse.”
Who is a Good Candidate for Outpatient Addiction Treatment?
Outpatient rehab isn’t the right choice for everyone. Some individuals will fare better in the substance-free, supportive environment of a residential treatment center. Certain factors help determine that a client would be best served by residential treatment:
- History of relapse:A person who has a history of slipping back into substance use may struggle with the temptations and triggers that are part of everyday life. If you’ve experienced a relapse in the past, you may have an easier time focusing on recovery in a residential program with no access to alcohol or drugs.
- Dangerous behavior:It’s not uncommon to suffer from suicidal thoughts or violent tendencies when you’re struggling with severe addiction. If there’s a chance that you might harm yourself or a loved one, you’ll be better off in the safe environment of a residential treatment facility.
Outpatient treatment has been proven to be an effective, flexible treatment option for individuals who need to continue working or taking care of their families while they receive addiction treatment. If you have a stable home environment and a strong support system, it may be the right treatment approach for you. The addiction professionals at Discovery Transitions can provide more information and help determine the level of care that meets your unique needs.
Discovery Transitions, located in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, offers outpatient treatment programs for men and women seeking either to initiate or to continue recovery from alcoholism and/or drug addiction. Discovery Transitions utilizes a variety of treatment programs that allow each client to receive the individualized care they deserve.
The Southern California rehab center offers a range of outpatient drug treatment programs to help drug addicts and alcoholics achieve and maintain sobriety. Each client at Discovery Transitions receives customized care to end their dependence on prescription drugs, cocaine, heroin and other opiates and/or alcohol to live a clean and sober life.
To learn more about Discovery Transitions call +1-(866)916-3211.